If you don't live under a rock in the B2B world, you've certainly heard of content marketing. But do you understand what it is and what it can do for you? At Usher & Spur, we've found this great article that does a really good job of explaining it.
For anyone who doesn't have time to read the whole article by Michele Linn, VP Content at the Content Marketing Institute, here are a few quotes from it we like:
- "Content marketing is different than traditional product marketing efforts like sales collateral and other product-specific info."
- "Content marketing is educational not promotional"
- "Content marketing takes a lot of work, persistence, and patience – it’s not for everyone."
We'd also like to add that to do it right, it needs to be based on a content strategy aligned to the customer buying journey.
But you might be asking, 'why do it if it's not for everyone?' Michele Linn has these answers:
- To be found by the right people (potential customers)
- To build an interested and engaged audience
- To acquire new customers
- To build increased revenue with existing customers
- To reallocate or reduce marketing costs
Not forgetting why we at Usher & Spur like it: To guide your prospective customers where you want them to go, by providing them with the content they need to move to the next stage of their buying decision.
Want some content marketing at your company but don't know how to get started? Contact Usher & Spur.